Dubois County has had a net loss of 2,500 jobs since 1990, a significant number of these in Jasper. It’s time to address our jobs, our economy, differently. The words “We’ve always done it this way” are not part of my vocabulary, so as your mayor:
- I will use my extensive business background and solid connections throughout the state to be a personal advocate for our strong workforce and existing companies.
- I will personally represent Jasper when seeking new ventures and investment particularly in business sectors we don’t have now such as life sciences, bio-technology and defense – with the goal to not only create new jobs but to welcome new citizens to Jasper.
- I will market and promote Jasper to targeted industries, entrepreneurs and young families.
- I will represent Jasper while partnering with neighboring communities and the Dubois County Area Development Corporation to spur economic growth.
- I will support the use of incentive tools for job creation.
- I will participate in efforts to revitalize our area highway system.
Youth and Families
According to public statistics, 99% of the Jasper High School Class of 2012 are projected to go on to further opportunities in education, training or the military. Only 1% intend to enter the workforce! While acknowledging the performance of our schools, one must also address two points: 1) The number of graduates entering the workforce is not enough to sustain our existing employment levels and one cannot assume they will have the skills our employers need, and 2) What brings those who have left, back? As mayor of Jasper:
- I will continue my role in our HomeTown Competitiveness initiative, supporting the pillars of Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Philanthropy, Youth, Inclusiveness and Families.
- I believe fortifying the jobs we have and bringing in different jobs will strengthen our community’s unique qualities and culture.
- I see our population as one that is ever-changing. In fact, the 2010 Census shows 1,456 people out of 15,038 residents are minorities, nearly 10%.
- I will work for continued growth of Vincennes University Jasper and other avenues of higher education.
- I see the value of having visitors in our city, becoming more of a destination for them, and putting our best foot forward during their time with us so that they will return again as a visitor or a resident.
Jasper’s Unclaimed Potential
Just as I drive my Leadership clients to tap their unclaimed potential, I expect to do the same as your mayor – to provide the leadership for this city to reach our unclaimed potential.
- Having met with current city officials this summer, I will continue to look at departments, boards and ordinances for effectiveness and efficiency. A change of administration is the ideal time to review how things get done and to explore ways to do them better. Being “OK” is not okay with me.
- I will promote fiscal responsibility in city endeavors while focused on our Comprehensive Plan.
- I will work to strengthen our city’s use of information technology.
- I will tell our story – more often, better and to different audiences. What a wonderful story we have – rich in tradition, entrepreneurship and a celebrated work ethic.
- We can’t be complacent, we must compete and compete we will – for jobs, for investments in our community and for an even better Jasper. As your mayor, I will call upon all the resources of my 35 years in communication and marketing to do just that.